Sacrament Meeting Talk

by - November 29, 2020

 


I was asked to give a talk in my new ward during Thanksgiving and I am not feeling it. But I need to do what the Lord ask of me. It's going to be recorded for those who can't make it to sacrament meeting since covid is still in effect. This was my talk:


Good afternoon my beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ. I hope that each of you had a wonderful & safe Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for this opportunity to speak to you on this Sabbath day. As mentioned earlier, my name is Jaylynn Wolfgramm. I'm currently serving with my husband, Mika as the Sunday school teachers for the 12 and 13 year old.
In all honesty, I prefer sitting quietly in the back than to speak in front of you right now. I'm not truly comfortable or confident in speaking to the congregation, but I pray that the Holy spirit comforts me, as I relay a message from this recent General conference.  The message spoken by Sister Lisa L. Harkness in title "Peace be Still" has a simple yet powerful message for each of us.

The Savior teaches us how to feel peace and calm even when the winds blow fiercely around us and billowing waves threaten to sink our hopes.

You may ask yourself, "How can I have peace at a time like this?" I know I have ask that same question myself. How? And few of you would say, easy "ASK GOD, HE KNOWS!" But do we even take a moment to
truly ask God for peace? Did we sincerely ASK Him? It may be easy to SAY to do things, but it is more of DOING IT that can be a problem for some to even try. I know, I've been there before.
For years I've had the hardest time trusting or even believing in peace. My life was a never ending war of physical and spiritual hardship. So peace for me was sometimes hard to find.
My beloved mother on the other hand, always knew how to bring peace and joy
when I was having a hard time. She would say to me, "Jaylynn, you are not alone in this life of darkness, beside me right next to you, holding your hand and walking with you. Our Savior, Jesus Christ is holding your other hand, walking together with us, shining his light, that our light may continue to shine through this life. Don't lose hope! Don't give up on faith! Trust in him who knows how it feels to go through hardships. He knows, trust Him. You will have peace, when you do."
I thank the Lord everyday for blessing me with a mother who was strong and faithful in the gospel. I miss her dearly. I miss hearing her voice. I miss her warm snuggly hugs. I miss her home cooked meals. But most of all, I miss her words of wisdom. Peace is definitely what I've been striving to have in my life everyday for the past 7 years since her passing.

To those with proven faith, childlike faith, or even the smallest particle of faith, Jesus invites, saying: “Come unto me.” “Believe on my name.” “Learn of me, and listen to my words.” He tenderly commands, “Repent and [be] baptized in my name,” “Love one another; as I have loved you,” and “Always remember me.” Jesus reassures, explaining: “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
Such beautiful words from our Savior. I pray that each of you that heard these words from the Savior would let it HUG your heart and soul. Let it ring clear into your mind, so that it will leave an impression of peace, comfort and joy.

Covid19 has definitely took a toll on each of us. And it's been life changing in many different ways.

In times of turmoil our faith can feel stretched to the limits of our endurance and understanding. Waves of fear can distract us, causing us to forget God’s goodness, thus leaving our perspective short-sighted and out of focus. Yet it is in these rough stretches of our journey that our faith can be not only tried but fortified.

Sister Harkness expressed that "regardless of our circumstances, we can intentionally make efforts to build and increase our faith in Jesus Christ. It is strengthened when we remember that we are children of God and that He loves us. Our faith grows as we experiment on the word of God with hope and diligence, trying our very best to follow Christ’s teachings. Our faith increases as we choose to believe rather than doubt, forgive rather than judge, repent rather than rebel. Our faith is refined as we patiently rely on the merits and mercy and grace of the Holy Messiah."

Growing up in the gospel had its moments on me, when I felt at times that I'm not spiritually worthy, not good enough or I'm not scripture/gospel smart or even adequate to fulfill a calling or a mission. It made my perspective of how I saw myself not a good one. That is never a good thing for anyone to experience, let alone to feel.
In this life we all have to go through a mental, emotional, physical and spiritual hardships. If we didn't have these trials, how could we be strong in our faith?

The words of Elder Neal A. Maxwell expressed that, while faith is not a perfect knowledge, “it brings a deep trust in God, whose knowledge is perfect!” Even in turbulent times, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is gritty and resilient. It helps us sift through unimportant distractions. It encourages us to keep moving along the covenant path. Faith pushes through discouragement and allows us to face the future with resolve and squared shoulders. It prompts us to ask for rescue and relief as we pray to the Father in the name of His Son. And when prayerful pleas seem to go unanswered, our persistent faith in Jesus Christ produces patience, humility, and the ability to reverently utter the words “Thy will be done."


Brothers and sisters of the Midvale 14th ward, as each of you diligently DO your best to combat your FEARS by strengthening your FAITH. You will feel and see the Lord's grace in your lives. I pray that each of you will have peace during these trying times. Know that our current challenging circumstances are not our final eternal destination. Each of us made a covenant to take the name of Jesus Christ upon us. We have faith in His redeeming power and hope in His great and precious promises. Rejoice in that reason, for our Lord and Savior is aware of our troubles, cares and sorrows.
I testify that this restored gospel will bring truth to our hearts that our Savior has given his life that we will live and not perish. I know that President Russell M. Nelson, the first presidency, the 12 apostles, the general & auxiliary authorities and local leaders are men and women called of God, to lead, guide and help us in these latter days. I know The book of mormon and the Holy scriptures testifies the importance of having faith in Jesus Christ that can bring us understanding and real peace in trouble times.
May we Come unto him, Obey his commandments, Stay on the covenant path, and Trust in Him. I know that through our constant Faith in Him, He will lift us up, embrace us with Love and say, "Peace, be still." I humbly say these things in the Holy and sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

You May Also Like

0 Comments