Teaching YW class today

by - December 11, 2022

 


I sometimes feel that whenever I have to teach the young women 11-13 year old, or any teaching calling, I freak out inside. My nerves goes up the roof and sweat like a dog on a hot summer's day. I was honest with my girls that its not easy to teach because I really don't know how they will react to my lesson's or if I made any sense. This time they were honest with me and told me that I was doing great. Expressing my concerns about our monthly lessons, helped me be a bit more comfortable around them and vice versa. I shared with the class that those who will be turning 14 next year will be going to the older girl class and this was my last time teaching them for the year. It was hilarious to see their reaction of disappointment and sadness. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever saw a bunch of girls sad to not be in my class. When I shared that with Mika, he told me that I do have a good impact on the girls and stop doubting myself. In agreeance with Mika, teaching these girl about the gospel is important for their lives. Even though I may be known as the fun, goodie bringing, down to earth teacher, but I do want to make sure that the girls understand their worth and the importance of trusting in the Lord through out their life. Today's lesson went as followed; I made a maze and had on volunteer to be blind folded. She was place in the back of the room where the maze began. At the beginning of the objective lesson, I had Vina listen to my voice by following the direction I would give her to walk out of the maze easily. After she went the first time, I had Vina step outside of the room while I prep the other girls to be my distractions. Brenda and Anamohulamu be my "wrong direction" girls and the rest of the girls to talk stories to the point where it would be hard to hear my voice. As Vina began the second part of the maze, she was having a bit of a hard time to get through the maze with the help of Brenda and Ana. We were all laughing with Vina cause she would bump into the chairs and tables. But I came close to where Vina was and softly called her name to help her get through the maze. She made it but was a bit frustrated with all the noise. Her response was that she felt like evil spirits surrounding her and confusing her through the maze. I expressed to the girls, that I represented the Holy Spirit and the maze is the world and everyone else was a representative of the adversary distracting us daily. Telling each girl that it is ok to do things or have things of this life that they may have joy, but it is more important to balance our lives and listen to the still small voice that He may guide us on the right path. We talked more about what they would like to do for classes and activities that would be fun, inspiring and spiritual. Many great ideas that I will bring up at our next presidency meeting next year. Thank you Lord for being with me as I teach thy daughters thy gospel and truth.

You May Also Like

0 Comments