Sister Nadira Tupuola Email #31

by - April 09, 2018


Hey Everyone! This week was crazy! As we talked to people, we were hit with a lot of questions that I didn't quite know how to answer! But I was able to study a lot on each of the questions. Thanks to technology, I was able to go deeper into my studies. I learned so much. 

Blacks and the Priesthood
This is a question that came up more than once this week! a question that Ive never been asked on my mission. And honestly I had no idea how to answer it. We met a guy named Kelly who first asked the question, "Why couldn't blacks hold the Priesthood?" And as we attempted to answer I realized that I didn't even know what the answer was. haha I was honest and said that I didn't know the answer but that I would study it and get back to him. 

As I studied about this question I learned that there really is no clear answer to this question. But there was revelation given about this matter found in The Official Declaration 2. The Book of Mormon teaches that "all are alike unto God" including "Black, white, bond and free, male and female" (2Neph26:33) Throughout history of the church, people from every race and ethnicity have been baptized members of the church. During Joseph Smiths time there were a few black male members of the church who were ordained to the Priesthood. But early church leaders stopped conferring the priesthood on black male members of African descent. the reason to this revelation, I have no idea. But Dallin H Oaks stated that We often ask questions like, "Why did the Lord command this? or Why did the Lord command that?" He goes on to say that Its not the pattern of the Lord to give reasons. We are not going to know everything here on earth. But when President Kimball was Prophet he prayed and meditated about this matter. Him and other church leaders knew that revelation was needed in order for change to occur. In 1978 revelation was given that all men could receive the Priesthood. 

Polygamy
Kelly also brought up his concern about polygamy which is something that I am still studying. But as I was reading in the Book Of Mormon, I found something that stood out to me. In Mosiah 21:17 it says, "Now there was a great number of women, more than there was men: therefore King Limhi commanded that every man should impart to the support of the widows and their children, that they might not perish with hunger, and this they did because of the greatness of the number of men that had been slain." This Scripture helped me better understand one of the reasons why God commanded the people to practice polygamy. Because of the great number of men that died from war, There were many widows. And at that time in history, women didn't have equal rights.Therefore Men were commanded to impart to the support of the women. I am still trying to find more answers to this concern. 

Exchanges!
I went on exchanges with my Sister Training Leader, Hermana Ortiz! It was the best day. We saw so many miracles! I am so proud of myself because I was able to talk to so many people! And guess what? I wasn't scared!! We talked to a guy named Fernando who was outside BBQing. We went up to him and talked to him. He said he respects what we are doing but that we were wasting our time. We were able to talk about some of the concerns that he has about our beliefs and clarified some of the false truths. He asked us, "Why do you believe in a God that you can't see?" We taught him that its all about having faith. He also said that there are many innocent people being murdered everyday so where is God? We shared the story or Korihor the anti christ in the Book of Mormon in Alma 30 and shared verse 44 when Alma teaches him that everything on earth is a witness that there is a God. We bore our testimonies to Fernando and he said he still doesnt think there is a God. We invited him to read the Book of Mormon but he said no. We left him with our number and then we went on our way. 

Jehovahs Witness
We were out walking to find people when we ran into the Jehovahs. It was interesting experience. they knew exactly who we were. They started to talk about their belief and gave us no chance to say anything. They gave us pamphlets about how to get to Gods kingdom. We decided to just listen to them. I learned a lot about what they believe in which was very interesting. People mistake us for being Jehovahs witnesses all the time haha. 

Spirit Prompted miracle!
Sister Minton and I were going down our list of Potential Investigators when we heard singing coming from an apartment building. Sister Minton felt prompted to go to that door so we went and knocked. A women opened the door. It looked like they were having a party. After talking with her, we asked if she was religious. She said she was but she had found a new outlook on life. We asked what that was and she said Weed! haha She went on to say that weed gives her so much happiness. So I pulled out my Book Of Mormon and said, "We can promise you that this book right here can give you even more happiness than weed." She laughed but I told her we were serious. She said "Okay! Ill read it!" haha It was so cool. She took the Book and said she would try it out! It was a miracle!  

Jimmy!!
Jimmy came to church yesterday! AND he went up and bore his testimony!! It was the best thing ever!! His testimony is so powerful! He said that He knows that this church is true. and that the Book of Mormon is true! He mentioned that he is not baptized yet but he feels like he is already a member! It was so good! that made my whole week! I am so excited for Jimmy! He is awesome! 

You May Also Like

0 Comments